Armed Forces Veteran Friendly Accredited GP Practice
Aspen Medical Practice is proud to be Armed Forces Veteran Friendly accredited. Our Veteran Champion is Rachel Bucknall, who is also our Frailty Matron.
We hope you find the following resources helpful. Please register with us online or at reception if you are an Armed Forces Veteran so that we can update your records.
We also ask that patients consent to joining our Veterans Register so that we can be aware of their previous service.
The Veterans Covenant Healthcare Alliance (VCHA) aims to improve NHS care for the Armed Forces community by supporting trusts, health boards and other providers to identify, develop and showcase the best standards of care.
To date, 37 hospital trusts have been accredited as ‘Veteran Aware’, having demonstrated their commitment to eight core manifesto standards, including signing the Armed Forces Covenant, raising awareness of veterans’ healthcare needs among staff, and establishing links with local support providers.
Other Useful Resources
Out of hours support:
- Samaritans freephone 116 123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org – to access confidential emotional support for feelings of distress, despair or suicide thoughts.
- Big White Wall – a safe online service providing access to millions with anxiety, depression and other common mental health issues. Free for serving personnel, veterans, family members and carers.
- Shout – a crisis text support service for people in the military community who are struggling and need immediate support to get through a crisis. Text CONTACT to 85258.
- Forces line telephone helpline: 0800 7314880 (Monday – Friday 10:30 – 19:30) or email. For serving personnel, former members of the Armed Forces and their families.
- NHS 111 – to access medical help fast but when it’s not a 999 emergency, telephone 111 (available 24 hours). To access information from the NHS on conditions, treatments, local services and healthy living following the link to NHS Choices.
- Veterans UK – to seek information on claiming AFCS, Armed Forces Independence Payment, Medical Discharges and Pension Forecast Requests.