Carers and the support they need
If you’re a Carer who helps and supports someone who can’t manage on their own, we want to ensure you get all the support you need.
At Aspen Medical Practice we offer:
- Carers’ Support Group which runs monthly
- Flexibility around Appointments
- Support from our Prescriptions Team
- Annual Flu immunisation
- Health checks for Carers
- Carer Information Packs from reception or the Wellbeing Centre of our website.
- Dedicated Carers’ Champions within the Surgery.
- Named GP for young carers to help build rapport and continuity.
We would like to hold this information in your medical record, this will help us provide support as necessary and have a better understanding of your needs.
With your permission, we will refer you to Carers Gloucestershire or Gloucestershire Young Carers if you are under the age of 18. These countywide organisations provide relevant information and advice, local support services, newsletter and telephone help for carers. They are able to assess your needs (called a Carers’ Needs Assessment) and give you the chance to discuss your role as a Carer and what help you may need to:
- Support you as a Carer.
- Maintain your own health.
- Balance caring with other aspects of your life, like work and family, looking at both your current and future needs.
- Discuss the emergency carers scheme in the event that you become unwell.
As a result of completing the Assessment they may provide services to help you in your caring role or to maintain your own health and well-being. It can also look at the needs of the person you care for. This could be done separately, or together, depending on the situation.
Please complete a Carer Registration form either online or from reception and hand it back to reception once complete.
Gloucestershire Carers Hub is part of the PeoplePlus group’s Independence services, which empowers people with a range of support needs to lead independent lives. The Carers Hub aims to support Carers across the region to access a one stop shop for advice and support. They endeavour to be the listening ear and the supportive hand for Carers seeking guidance.